Have a question about harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, or retaliation? Please read:

labor board complaint

Call (213) 992-3299 anytime. Free. Confidential. Hablamos Espanol.

WAGE CLAIMS (2021)

Studies show that as many as 4 out of 5 employees are the victims of wage theft. If your employer owes you money, you have the right to immediately file a labor board complaint against your employer and have your case heard by a California Labor Commissioner-appointed judge. The judge is authorized to issue a judgment against your employer awarding you unpaid wages, penalties, attorney fees and interest. The labor board does not charge any filing fees or other costs. California Labor Commissioner Julie Su has stated that she is committed to protecting the wage rights of undocumented or illegal immigrants. It is against the law for an employer to threaten employees based on their immigration status.

Under California labor laws and associated wage orders, employers are required to give non-exempt employees who work or reside in the State of California the following wage rights:

• - a 10-minute paid rest break if you work more than 3.5 hours in a day
  • - a second 10-minute paid rest break if you work more than 6 hours in a day

• - a 30-minute meal break if you work more than 5 hours in a day
  • - a second 30-minute meal break if you work more than 10 hours in a day

Overtime

• - time and a half if you work
    • a) more than 8 hours in a day,
    • b) more than 40 hours in a week, or
    • c) seven days in a row in a work week
  • - double time if you work
    • a) more than 12 hours in a day, or
    • b) more than 8 hours on the seventh day in a row in a work week

Last Paycheck

If you have been terminated or laid off, you are entitled to receive your final wages upon termination or on your last day of work.

If you resign, you are entitled to receive your final paycheck within 72 hours after your last day of work.

You final wages must include any unpaid vacation pay (but not sick leave pay).

Tips

A manager or supervisor (even if part-time) is not legally allowed to take from your tips or the tip pool. The law treats this as tip theft.

Driving Mileage Reimbursements

If you are required to drive from your employer's office to a job site, your employer is required to pay you a mileage reimbursement at the IRS standard mileage rate. As of January 1, 2018, that rate is 54.5 cents per mile. If your employer has failed to do this, your claim could be large - thousands of dollars.

Deductions

Your employer is not permitted to take deductions out of your paycheck unless you have agreed to it in writing. Even if your employer has loaned you money, he cannot make any deductions without your written consent. If this is occurring, you are entitled to recover not only the moneys that were deducted, but any attorney fees you have incurred.

Retaliation

If you complain to your employer or the Labor Board about any of the above wage violations, the law prohibits retaliation against you. Retaliation could include a reduction of your work hours, demotion, pay cuts, suspension, termination, etc. If you are the victim of retaliation, you are entitled to file a retaliation complaint with the California Labor Board.

FILING YOUR LABOR BOARD COMPLAINT (2021)

Filing a wage complaint with the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (otherwise known as the Labor Board or DLSE), can take as little as 30 minutes on the phone.

Even if you believe you are owed as little as a few hundred dollars, the penalties that apply under the California Labor Code can be thousands of dollars. Penalties include waiting time penalties, liquidated damages penalties, bounced check penalties, etc.

What You Need to File a Complaint

If you have any of the following documents, please have them ready when you call:

How Long the Complaint Process Takes

Resolving your wage complaint can take as little as a few weeks to as many as a few years. There are many factors involved, including how complicated your complaint is, how backlogged the commissioner and labor board office assigned to your case is, how willing your employer is to settle, whether your employer decides to appeal, etc.

The Steps in the Complaint Process

The first step is to fill out a Form 1 labor board complaint. You will typically need to also fill out a Form 55 attachment that sets out each amount you are owed for each pay period you worked for the employer. If you have a retaliation claim, you will also need to fill out a Form RCI-1.

If you need help with these forms, call us at (213) 992-3299 as the forms can be more complicated than they appear. Incorrect complaints are typically rejected by the labor board and need to be corrected before they can be re-filed. The re-filing process can take weeks or months. We can prepare the forms correctly for you in as little as a few hours.

Incorrectly filled out complaint

Same complaint after correction

In the above example, the claimant had submitted a complaint to the labor board that alleged only $1,274.97 in unpaid straight time and that lacked the required Form 55 calculation exhibit. After correction, an amended complaint was re-submitted that alleged $20,512.34 in unpaid straight time, overtime, meal and rest break premiums, liquidated damages, records penalties and waiting time penalties. In addition, required supporting calculation exhibits, including Form 55, were attached. The amended complaint package was accepted by the labor board.

Next, you need to file your complaint with the correct DLSE office. There are 18 regional DLSE offices assigned to the various cities in California. Which DLSE office you must apply to depends on which city you worked in. Again, this can be trickier than it first seems, as the office that is closest to the city where you worked isn't always the correct DLSE office to file in. Also DLSE office city assignments are subject to change. Filing with the wrong DLSE office can cause months of delay and often requires that you simply re-file your complaint with the correct DLSE office.

If you need help with this, give us a call at (213) 992-3299. We can ensure your complaints are filed with the correct DLSE office.

After your complaint is filed, you will receive a notice of conference from the labor board, typically in 2 to 4 months. At the conference, which you, your employer, and/or your attorneys are required to attend, the commissioner will ask questions, confirm information, and finalize your labor board complaint, which you will then sign.

After that, the final hearing (trial) takes place, in as little as a few months to as long as 1 year after the conference. You will typically have to request subpoenas from the labor board and have them personally served on your employer and any witnesses to ensure you have the evidence you need to win your trial. At trial, you must present to the hearing officer a copy of all documents and provide all witnesses required to support your claim.

The hearing officer will issue an ODA (order, decision or adjudication) within 15 days after the trial (although in reality, the wait can be months). The parties will then have 10 to 15 days to appeal. If there is an appeal, the whole process starts completely over, except this time, your complaint is transferred from the labor board to a California State superior court.

If you have won your trial and/or any appeal, you will be issued a judgment. Then you must begin your collection efforts. The labor board typically does not assist you with collection, although it depends on your claim and your employer.

If you need assistance with any of the above, give us a call anytime at (213) 992-3299 and talk to an expert now.

DLSE Offices

464 W. Fourth Street,
Room 348

San Bernardino, CA 92401
(909) 383-4334
LaborComm.WCA.SBO@dir.ca.gov

1. Chris Ross on June 8, 2021 at 11:22 am

How can I get help with getting my last check from a Cannabis club owner? I worked there only a few weeks, as I noticed it seem to be kind of a sketchy setup( had us writing our hours down and no HR department. I was correct in that assumption, as I still have yet to receive my last check! This was in March, and now it’s June, and the man still hasn’t paid me smh.

2. Amanda mikel on June 4, 2021 at 11:57 pm

My first day at work and I was go on 6 hours with no 10 minute rest and my bosses wife had told me that I could take my lunch brake and that my lunch brake was 1 hour. So I clocked out for lunch and no more than 10 minutes did my boss come walking up to me telling me that I seemed like a nice girl but I have problems and who needs a lunch brake and that I didn’t need a lunch brake and that I was fired and here’s 90$ for the hours I worked. And I worked at fort ross lodge doing house keeping

3. Gerardo lemus on May 12, 2021 at 9:09 am

Yo tube una fractura en mi pie 11/17/2020 deje se trabajar por mi lección regrese 01/23/2021 cuando trate de regresar el chef no contestaba mis llamadas ni mis mensajes tardo 4 días en responder cundo regrese mis compañeros de trabajo me comenzaron a platicar que el chef hugo ramirez no quería que yo regresara que yo ya no le iba a servir me sentí muy mal pasaron unos días el estaba distinto conmigo quería que yo trabajará al 100 % de mi capacidad aun el sabiendo que tenia mi fractura me presiono me humilló dijo no sirves para nada uno de esos días me puse a limpiar la plancha donde cocinamos y me dijo quítate me enpujo a si continuo desde esa fecha hasta el 14 de febrero que mi compañero geronimo gomez miro como me trataba el me defendió dijo hey no lo trates a si que el no esta 100% bien tiene que trabajar limitado y despacio desde allí comenzó represalias hacia geronimo y yo nos armamos de valor fuimos con el manager para hablar de la situación pensamos que nos ayudarían hablamos con Robert y Lilian de recursos humanos y fue peor pedimos discreción y no respetaron nada todos los empleados supieron de nuestras quejas y se burlaron de nosotros hugo ramirez el chef fue peor hubo represalias me ponía a limpiar cosas pesadas yo estando mal de mi pie me puso a levantar platos pesados y a que me agachara desde abajo ese día no podía más salí super mal de mi pie me dilia muchísimo al día siguiente era mi descanso fue bueno ya que todavía mi pie me dolia me entró miedo que mi pie quedara mal fueron transcurriendo los días y el hugo ramirez el chef seguía peor entonces yo pensé en apuntar todo el 02/27/2021 sábado llegue por la mañana hugo ramirez el chef me dijo tienes que acomodar el freezer yo le dijo pero no se puede ni entrar esta super frío y se me es difícil por mi pie dijo no se como le vas hacer pero yo lo quiero ver acomodado tengo fotos de ese día como quedo mi pie inchado cuando salí del trabajo llegué a mi casa le llame a mi esposa que me ayudara no podía bajar del carro ella se asusto mucho dije que te paso te caíste le platique lo que paso ella me decía que me saliera que no siguiera allí pero no yo tenia que segur buscando ayuda entonces hable con mi compañero geronimo para hablar con los de más arriba tuvimos zoom con la presidenta pensamos ella si nos va ayudar pues nada ellos dijeron que no podían hacer nada que Robert es el manager que hablemos con el le contestamos que ya lo hicimos y dijeron que están trabajando con hugo el chef aque el sea mejor manager pero si el tiene 20 años trabajando allí bueno después de hablar con la presidenta las cosas se calmaron un poco pero el hugo ramirez el chef usaba a Alfonso hernandez para ponernos a trabajar el nos dijo que hugo ramirez el chef no quería vernos parados que nos quería vernos trabajar y rápido Alfonso hernandez nos vigilaba checaba los botes de basura siempre estaba de tras de nosotros acosandonos cuando yo trabajaba con el hermano del chef me dejaba por horas solo y como es hermano del chef no decían nada el hugo ramirez nos miraba con odio desde lejos el se burlaba nos acosaba ya ni podía más al transcurso de los días corrieron a mi compañero geronimo la única persona que me apoyaba y me defendía solo aguante 3 días más el hugo ramirez le dijo a Alfonso hernandez que yo a si como geronimo se fue que yo era el próximo en irme la verdad no aguante tanta humillación descriminacin acoso me sentía miserable decidí dar mi renuncia. Hugo ramirez siempre a sido una persona que no respeta en los 6 años que trabaje allí siempre nos grito nos humilló yo no quería ni ir al baños porque el nos sacan del baño en todo este tiempo que trabaje allí nunca tome 10 minutos de descanso la media horas solo la tomaba cuando trabajaba más de 8 horas pero el nos levantaba todo lo que me hizo me lastimo sicologicamente no puedo dormir me duele mi pie me duele mi cuello de estrés me siento humillado descriminado soporte 6 años porque tengo 4 hijos que sacar adelante

• Eugene Lee on May 12, 2021 at 9:11 am

estaremos encantados de ayudarle con este problema. ¿Puede llamarnos al (213) 992-3299? Podemos hablar español.

4. LW on March 5, 2021 at 3:23 pm

On December 16th 2020 I received a phone call from Rebecca Dunbarr project manager for national security industries for Sacramento branch I was told by Rebecca that my services wasn’t no longer needed I asked her three times why what happened she just stated the same thing my server was it no longer needed I called my friend Charles Bridgman and told yam that I no longer work for National Security industry he asked me why I told him what I was told by Rebecca he stated that don’t sound right I told him I know so he told me that he’s going to ask around and see what you can find out anyway to make a long story short he was told by Rebecca that I had a no-call no-show that I didn’t do my round and I just sat in my car I only called off one day and that was the night of November 26th 2020 I forgot about the transit system in Sacramento I tried to get a ride and tries to even get a taxi none were available now about not doing my round when I get my round I had to use a cell phone to scan the barcode and a lot of the times that I was doing my rounds I was on the phone with Charles Bridgeman and about sitting in my car not doing my round I don’t have a car and I don’t own a car and about a no-show no call security monitoring company can tell when I was there and when I wasn’t when we get there on site we are supposed to check in with them when we arrive tell them what kind of vehicle that we’re driving and if there are any employees on site and what time are we there until if you have any more questions for me you can reach me at 916 5460 881 under penalties of perjury I declare that this statement is to the best of my knowledge and belief is true correct and complete L W Johnson

5. Heather on February 25, 2021 at 12:56 pm

The owner of Ciros Pizza in Folsom CA violates almost every labor law listed on this page and the kids that work for him are too afraid to speak up. When customers leave a tip on an on-line order he keeps the tip for himself and says it’s a “service fee”. When the employees deliver pizzas to and the business pays on line and leaves a tip, he keeps it. The employees that are delivering the meals for seniors are not paid mileage. He gives them a “couple bucks” for gas. He does not give breaks or lunches unless an employee specifically asks for it, which they don’t because they know it is frowned upon. If there is not enough cash in the drawer to pay the employee for tips received during the shift that were paid at the register, he makes them write an IOU and will pay them when he has cash. He has shorted employees on hours multiple times and only pays them if they say something about it. He has been getting away with this for years because he hires young kids that won’t stick up for themselves.

6. GENE M MARGASON on February 6, 2021 at 1:09 pm

During the Covid pandemic in August in the present my employer is trying to take me up on the job site that was supposed to be probably protocol after OSHA came to the job responding to a call in a complaint that I have made One of several complaints when I voice my complaint to my supervisor and do theDanielle Williams the ownerThat requested I come into the office so they could work this out with me when I arrive there The owner and his wife my other supervisor Tony and they’re coming through Holly I’ll talk me into an office for a meeting try to intimidator she was angry that I had sent an email to them saying that they aren’t following protocol and that she had paid me in properly on my sick time using the state Covid sick time after she used mine and only after I filed a complaint with your officeDuring the meeting she tried to discredit everything I said and get me to agree that she was correct and that she had paid me in full that was not the issue the issue was that she had broken the law in the first place I have three relatives working on the site actually two one is out sick nowWith Covid and my son-in-law one of them had it a few weeks ago they were trying to intimidate me and bully me yet they offer me accommodation at the worksite which was to consist of a workplace real people not following protocol because manyDo not wear masks they do not have proper sanitation facilities they run out of wipes there’s of dispensers are in adequate and the main supervisor on the site is the cars as he walked in with no mask and never important their policy of throwing a personality job if they don’t wear the mask recently after returning to work I was isolated for one week in a room working by myself or with one person that I know the next week I came in Monday and it was horrific the amount ofPeople blatantly disregarding Covid safety protocol was astounding I took video of these people can have their faces on film the next two days I was off work trying to contact your department and OSHA again when I contacted my employer about the situation they told me that they did not want me on the job site anymore and I was not to go there not ever going to send me out to Palm Desert to work they know I’m carpooling to my job with my son-in-law because my car broke Several weeks ago on the way to work I have been driving my wife’s jeep which I used to go to the office but the differential blew up on it and I had to have it towed home and they were fully aware of this and they told me that I can only work out in the desert even though they were supposed to make special accommodations and now they’ve told me that I have to get my way up to the desert and I’m losing money every day this is a retaliation I feel and it’s a way of getting me off of the job site so that I won’t cause any problems with The main contactor and OSHA or did William’s plumbing and electric both of their websites advertise that about their religiously following Covid protocol that they are totally concerned about it and that’s her main concern only concern on consolidated commercial Webpage and Dave Williams plumbing and electrical webpage And with OSHA and your office I have filed complaints within the last 30 days they are in direct violation of this law by doing me this way I need assistance to make sure that I lose my job and to make sure that I get paidSo I can support my family

7. Nathan on January 8, 2021 at 1:08 pm

I was recently fired for not being available to work out of town or not being able to work whenever Jon Stewart wanted me too. Due to having a family with 4 kids; three are under 6, I had to start late 3 days a week to take my kids to daycare. Although I would start late, I would still work my 8 hours and sometimes more. Now Jon is saying that a construction foreman cannot have ANY availability issues and needs to be at his beckoning call. Our family is large and requires two incomes to survive; Jon Stewart has fired me because my wife works and it affects my start time but does NOT affect my work. Is this legal?

8. rodrigo jay lopez on December 28, 2020 at 11:47 am

I worked at 1501 market st san diego ca 92101 for 200 weeks and traveled to 92069 to labor finders and select temperaREY SERVICES IN OCEANSIDE CA AND IN PACIFOIC BEACH AND ESCONDIDO AND DIDNT GET A PAYCHECK FOR EVERY FRIDAY FOR A 40 HOUR 1ST 2ND 3RD SHIFT PAY CHECK BY FRIDAY ECT.

9. Jocelynn Draper on December 1, 2020 at 8:31 pm

Am i able to file a retaliation against a company i worked for back in 2018? I started a case in august of 2018, but started to not feel confident of my case because i had no one on my side, so i never went through with it. Now 2 years later, i am very disappointed i never went through with it and they got away with mistreating me and wrongfully terminating me.

10. Lachelle jini Patterson on November 8, 2020 at 11:00 pm

My boss was very demanding about how the job was done. I work hard never got the respect I deserved.

11. Ann on November 5, 2020 at 3:36 am

Modern Day Slavery “Labor”/ Wage Theft/ Sexual Harrassment /Soul Theft

I honestly looked at my position as having fun staying fit while doing something for the community and a great purpose for minimum wage. But I see now people have to come for your joy. Its such a shame that people wont just let you be Great while making the best out of a hardship situation..The bottom line and facts are

Modern Day Slavery “Labor”/ Wage Theft/ Sexual Harrassment /Soul Theft ..how hard is it to click the approve button in ADP to sign off 24 last hours

12. Boriana on October 20, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Looking for my rights to receive my payroll check on time

• Eugene Lee on October 20, 2020 at 1:34 pm

Please give us a call at 213-992-3299 and we’ll be happy to walk you through it.

13. Nik Mayur on August 30, 2020 at 4:44 pm

As a longtime employee with a healthcare organization being paid through Cynet Systems and Cynet Health based in Virgina. I have stuck by them through their Caucasian fiasco . (search for “Cynet Caucasian” on google for more information). However, I am forced to write this complaint because they never pay many of us healthcare workers on time particularly overtime benefits and training payments. Their HR team is incompetent and talking with them is futile. They have taken advantage of Covid by forcing their remote employees in Philippines and India to work long hours and weekends with little pay and no incentives. (Many of these employees make only $200 per month) They have tried to earn employees goodwill by claiming to not do layoffs. However, a quick search on SBO’s website shows that they have been given $5 MILLION dollars from Covid CARES government funding. This dis-ingenuity is appalling and illegal to receive funding when we are being paid directly by hospitals while exploiting their poorly paid remote employees. I am considering bringing this up with TJC.

Advice to Management
    – Make payments to us on time. We bring revenue by risking our lives and working in hospitals during a pandemic.
    – Stop claiming to be heroes to your employees by pretending to care for them while abusing their goodness and extracting evenings and weekend work for no additional pay or with pay cuts. Be transparent and truthful with them.
    – Stop abusing government programs by making millions of dollars from grants during the pandemic. (source: https://sba.app.box.com/s/wz72fqag1nd99kj3t9xlq49deoop6gzf)

14. Wendy Alexander on July 28, 2020 at 12:17 am

I just need help with this.

15. Paul on July 22, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I left my job 2 weeks ago. I have not gotten a unemployment, disability, or wages since I left the week of July 4th, June 30th was last day. So this week I decided to use all my personal time, 22.66 hrs Vac. About $750 gross. When I receive my stub, I only net $410. Payroll, has again, deducted Not 1 med payment, but 2. I did niot give her permission to use vacation check monies to pay anything. I thought I have 60 days to elect coverage and can pay then at or the day before 60days has passed. She took 35.6% of my vacation hrs net. $235. This is not the first time.

16. me on July 21, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Do not trust the County

17. Antonio Hightower on July 15, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Hi,
    I called a, nd spoke with someone and I was refered to this website. The person I spoke with saidit would be faster this way.
    Here is my delema I work for a company and did not get paid. I work nights and for five years from 2015 up till 2020 I was not paid nightdiferential wages. I believe I am entitled to this. I hope that someone can get back to me ASAP, thank you for your time. I can be reached at 510-386-9162, my email is prettytyony1972@yahoo.com if you need further inforormation please dont hesitate to let me know.

Again thank you and look forward to your response,
    Sincerely Antonio Hightower

18. Jess on July 7, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Hi, I have a question about hair stylist in California. I currently get paid commission and only commission. I can be at the salon all day while still having to help around and not making a single dollar since I had no client. I’ve heard from a few people that I cant be getting paid like this anymore, that I should be getting paid for the time that I’m there while not having a clinet?

• Salvador Alvarado on August 15, 2020 at 2:53 pm

How many miles got so the I can get paid for per-diem I m driving from Beaumont ca t Manhattan Beach in I don’t get it paid for per-diem I drive 96 miles Each way

• Andy hale on August 23, 2020 at 4:02 pm

I got hire as a mechanical inspector and i told the owner that i been off this field for 10 so i need maybe 2 week to practice to use the equipment the next work day he put me on meeting with our biggest customer to have an explanation about our product with bad quality that they not satisfy.which i dont know any thing about it( owner try to put me on the position to take a blame) and i got funny feeling. Then i walk out on him 4 time , he call me back and offer me another $5 and hour add into my pay so i stay( though he really want me work there) then used me to build the clean room then i go buy material and spent my own time on weekend work on it after all i spend li k e $6500 so him all the receipt

19. J on July 7, 2020 at 3:10 am

When an employe has a complain and makes a complain 40 days later gets terminated with no resolution then 44th day its told that their no wrong doing from their parts.

20. jewels mcdonald on June 24, 2020 at 9:24 am

My employer is procrastinating on giving my final check. I had left since last month, I called and emailed, no communication whatsoever. The employer received his PPP and told his employees he will reduce all his their pay in half if they want to continue working for him.

21. Peggy Flores on June 19, 2020 at 12:22 pm

Hi there – I was terminated on 2/24/2020 without warning and my sales performance more than met the requirements. I signed an At Will contract when I was hired on 5/6/2019, and was wondering if my employer can let me go like this without any warning. The reason they gave me at my termination was a “change in direction” I’m 52 years old and Latina. A younger employee on the team, who was hired after me and had lower sales than me was kept on. I feel I was terminated because perhaps I was not a culture fit and am feeling I was unjustly let go.

My employer was Fireclay Tile in San Francisco.

Peggy

• Ayanna Martinez on July 1, 2020 at 10:04 am

Hi I’m not sure how I put the wrong date in but I was actually terminated on 6/22/2020.

22. Carley on May 10, 2020 at 12:49 am

I got laid off with no notice

23. Elliot on May 9, 2020 at 9:30 pm

My employer has asked many of its employees to stay home due to business slow down and to use paid time off/vacation time to be paid, starting in April. Staff working in busier departments continue working as usual. Two weeks into April, company-wide pay cuts were announced. If my employer is keeping me home AND reducing my pay/wages, is that legal? I accumulated my paid time off/vacation hours while earning at a different rate. For example, if I was making $18 hourly while I accumulated my paid time off/vacation time, now I’m being deducted my paid time off/vacation time in order to be paid (because I’m stuck at home) BUT INSTEAD of being paid $18 hourly, I’m being paid the pay cut rate of $15 hourly. This seems like grounds for an unpaid wages claim, unfair labor practices and seems illegal. Any replies or advise?

24. Rosanna Redfearn on April 13, 2020 at 6:19 pm

My name is Rosanna Redfearn and I’m still waiting for my court date it’s going on one year. [link removed] Whoever that is has stolen my identity ? Thanks Rosanna Redfearn

25. Loretta Masi on March 10, 2020 at 5:02 pm

For the past 4 years they have me as an independent contractor working under a supervisor like an employee does only no sick pay or vacation or overtime. The condiitions are horrible rats and bugs all over the place

26. H on March 9, 2020 at 11:55 am

I am a county employee. The payroll clerk for my department is repeatedly messing up paychecks for multiple employees. Some losing over a thousand dollars or not getting a check without calling to fix the problem. I have chosen to get comp time for my overtime or for paid holidays that fall on my day off. He has neglected to compensate me for holiday time at least 3 times in the last year. When I questioned the missing time last month he said it would be fixed by the next payday. He has now removed all of the other time I banked and replaced it with the missing time. I have coworkers who are also wanting to join in this complaint due to the mistakes made repeatedly on their checks. Supervisors and managers are aware of the problem and have been for several months, but there has been no change. Is this something you can help with?

27. T on March 5, 2020 at 1:09 pm

My employer only pays for time scheduled to work, and deducts pay for tardiness but refuses to go off time punches. Is this illegal?

• Eugene Lee on March 8, 2020 at 9:47 am

Employers have to pay workers for all time worked on the clock. That usually means the employer has to pay according to time punches. It is also the employer’s responsibility to maintain accurate, contemporaneous time records of all time worked.

28. Brenda Jameson on March 1, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I am a school bus driver and am employed by a private company that is contracted out to a school district. My position is a field trip driver (instead of a home to school route driver) for student activities in the district we work for as well as other facilities and charter. While we are engaged in waiting, at the venue, for the group to come back to the bus, my company requires us to clock off and take a half hour lunch if we are working over 6 hours and a second lunch after the 10th hour. My employer is insisting that my second lunch has to be taken AT the 10 hour of work. I told her the labor and state laws say I take a second lunch AFTER the 10th hour of work. They refuse to acknowledge the law. example: I had two fields trips on the day in question. my first trip started at 8AM and ended at 1PM. My second trip started at 1PM, I took a half hour off duty lunch at 3PM, signed back on at 3:30 and was finished at 6:30PM. That is a total of exactly 10 hours that I worked for the whole day. I could not take my first lunch earlier than I did because I was driving or loading and unloading my students. My employer insisted I owe her another half hour lunch because I worked 10 hours. She deducted that second half hour out of my pay anyway without my permission. They have done this several times in the last few years and myself and the other 7 field trip drivers just except it due to them bulling and threatening us by not giving us very much work.

29. Mee Vang on February 28, 2020 at 3:56 pm

I quit my job on Feb 19th. Told my boss to mail me my check within 72 hours. Today is Feb 28th and I have not received my last check.

• Eugene Lee on February 28, 2020 at 3:58 pm

You should file a claim. That is illegal and you are entitled to penalties.

• Destiny on August 14, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Hello,
        I have a concern from 2019.
        My employer fired me without notice or warning on January 21, 2019. I notifed my employer over the phone to mail me my check. At the time I was patiently waiting, after a week I still haven’t received my check. So I called the HR department turns out my check was still in their office. They didn’t mail it out until Feb 6, 2019 and I received it a few days after that. Is this still a valid claim?

30. Dominic on February 25, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Is it ok to only be paid for only 30 minutes of time for reporting pay? Can they take away vacation hours?

31. Raider on February 24, 2020 at 12:21 pm

Is it ok to not be paid prevailing wage on a state funded job. Spent 10 work days on a job that was prevailing wage for all other trades except our boss didn’t want to pay prevailing. Concerned on if there was a way around it for him or if my co worker and I on the job got mis treated.

32. Elli Burgos on February 10, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Please look into this company.
    They “hire” young adults under the misrepresentation of event coordinator assistants and promised a $500.00 per week.
    They have them go to an office for huddle and daily goals then dispatch them in their own cars to different locations.
    They are then forced to stay there until 8 pm or until a minimum of $300.00 is raised. They then drove back to office for recap and spend another hour or so there.
    They work 6 days a week over 10 hour days to receive a paystub for $400.00 minus tax deductions and description of pay is “commissions “the name
    Of the company is Pacific Proceeds inc.
    i personally know 2-4 people they are doing this to.
    I will be checking back for your reply and feed back.

Thank you. Elli

33. Eileen M GOnzales on February 6, 2020 at 4:35 pm

My paycheck was not given to me after working many hours during sept octobe nov, dec and january.

• Miguel on February 13, 2020 at 8:52 am

Is it ok for a supervisor yo say , Iget pay to be an Ass Hole!!!.

• Susan on February 19, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Is it o.k to be demoted a few months after work comp documented injury? To lose promotion pay raise as well as previous raise received 4 months prior for top performance? Reason given was that lost raises were taken due to less availability from work comp dr. Restrictions of work week and limited hrs per day? Ex: normal hours 8 hrs per day 5 days a week. To 6hrs max days, 4days per week on work comp Dr. work restrictions?